• People Talk and My Ear Bleeds

Thoughts

    from Twitter

    News

    Friday, July 22, 2005

    Another London Bombing Addendum

    Alright, so I've blogged on this alot lately.

    Last night I got ready for bed and turned on Comedy Central for a quick laugh. Instead, I found The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. I have a confession: I find this show the funniest and best news show on TV. The jokes are good, but his interviews are better--poignant, candid, no hot air like you hear from the likes of both Lou Dobbs and Bill O'Reilly (both of whom I do watch, if just for my sadomasachistic tendencies).

    Jon Stewart interviewed Fareed Zakaria, editor of Newsweek International. It was a very good interview, and Fareed talked about "Mess O'Potamia." He basically quoted me (where's my royalties??) saying that no matter what the offense endured, there is no excuse for terrorist acts. Saying you understand where they're coming from just gives validation to their actions. What we need to do is stop radical clerics from speaking hate. He called it a "downward spiral." Radical clerics speak hate, causing terrorists to bomb, which causes Europeans to alienate Muslims, which causes more hate-speech from radical clerics and on and on...

    Unfortunately, I can't find a transcript, but you can see the video of the jokes earlier in the segment here.

    *******

    Evidently, moderate muslims are split on whether suicide bombings are forbidden by religious law.

    No comments: