• People Talk and My Ear Bleeds

Thoughts

    from Twitter

    News

    Sunday, January 15, 2006

    The Steelers Steal From Me

    Man, I had this great post written out in my head--the one where I explain to all the football fanatics everywhere why Denver would beat Indianapolis and the Colts' dream season would end before the superbowl.

    It was simple, really. Denver went 13-3 during the regular season, but never looked slow although they were tested along the way. Won their last couple games, four to be exact, and smoked the patriots in the first round. What does that mean?

    It means a 13-3 team that is firing on a cylinders.

    Meanwhile, the Colts, although 14-2, lost two of the last 3, and the starters hadn't played much in almost a month. Don't tell me you aren't rusty. Anyone who plays any sport knows that sitting for more than part of a game leaves you OFF your game.

    So, I had the Colts beating my favorite team this year (the Steelers) because of the slow offense the steel city has, and then getting shook up by the Broncs.

    Unfortunately, I underestimated my team. It looks like the Steelers were able to jump all over that rust and survive a thriller. Colts miss last second field goal. Serves them right. Another point for always playing your starters.

    Ah, and while I'm on the topic of football, one more thing: What's all this about the Patriot's dynasty ending?? I think Dr. Z and Peter King are two of the best sports writers around, but for the first time in a long time, I disagree with his opinion that the dynasty is over.

    One big reason: The Patriots' "dynasty" (which I still hesitate calling it until they win one more) was win, loss, win, win, loss (this year). Three superbowls in four years is great. But who's to say that they won't make it four in six years? or 4 in 7? They made an incredible comeback from an injury-filled season (something the Panthers couldn't do a couple years back ... you may remember--it took them a full season) just to make the playoffs, and the only reasons they didn't win was they played a good team and had an off game. Only one of those two reasons might have still ended in a victory for the Pats.

    So let's hold off on the end of a dynasty until Coach Belicheck or Brady, or Bruschi is gone for good. When the cogs aren't in place anymore, then the dynasty has fallen.

    No comments: