• People Talk and My Ear Bleeds

Thoughts

    from Twitter

    News

    Thursday, October 20, 2005

    Saint Louis and Atlanta

    Coincidentally, these are the two cities the Houston Astros beat to make it to the World Series. Now they play the Chicago White Sox. Maybe my visit to Chicago in November means good omens...

    ...because these are the two cities I visited this week for medical school interviews. I am currently in Atlanta. Flew in today on America west...and they made me check my carry-on because some idiots brought their trumpets and fishing poles on the plane as carry-ons. What ever happened to size restrictions?? I had to wait for 45 min to get my CARRYON at the baggage claim because of them.

    Unfortunately, I forgot my link from my digital camera to the computer so I can't upload any photos. I promise when I get back to Utah I will upload photos from both cities and give a reasonable critique of the Viet food I ate on my trip (hey it wasn't all interviewing).

    Regardless, I want to say there is a very interesting discussion at The Volokh Conspiracy on Same Sex Marriage. Maggie Gallagher, a guest-blogger, is setting up her anti-ssm position based on the legal aspects to ssm in a series of posts over the last week. She has two more days left. Check it out. I have found her arguments very interesting.

    While reading The Prince yesterday, I ran across a couple quotes cogent to Pres. Bush. He should know that,
    "The populace is by nature fickle; it is easy to persuade them of something, but difficult to confirm them in that persuasion." (p.19)
    and
    "There is nothing more difficult to handle, more doubtful of success, and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes in a state's constitution. The innovator makes enemies of all those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support is forthcoming from those who would prosper under the new ... partly from fear of their adversaries ... and partly because men are generally incredulous, never really trusting new things unless they have tested them by experience. In consequence, whenever those who oppose the changes can do so, they attack vigorously, and the defence made by the others is only lukewarm. So both the innovator and his friends come to grief." (p.19)

    No comments: