• People Talk and My Ear Bleeds

Thoughts

    from Twitter

    News

    Sunday, May 20, 2007

    Finals

    I've reached the other side...

    At 3:00pm Friday I walked out of the NBME Microbiology test, heaved a sigh of relief, and laughed. For the first time in a month, I did not have a test to study for. For the first time in nine months, I did not have anything school-related to do.

    I was free.

    Oh, how beautiful is freedom. Our founding fathers got it right. How could they have foresaw the exquisite joy of having no pressing responsibilities weighing down on your shoulders as you watch tv in the evening? They were men of genius.

    The exam schedule was rough--nine exams spaced over two and a half weeks. Studying for the exams starts about a week and a half before the first exam, so in reality a full month is spent on these things. I study and go to class from 8 am until 2 am for a week and a half, then have three exams in a row--Wednesday, Thursday, Friday--just to finish the fourth block. Two weeks, six exams, and no sleep later, I'm done.

    Thank you to everyone who's helped me--or laughed at me--especially my wife, who lived without a husband for a month. It's no fun going to bed before your spouse, so you only see him for ten minutes as you drive him to school each morning, but that's what she did for four straight weeks.

    Now it's on to summer--the last "summer" of my life. I start a preceptorship at Ben Taub hospital on Tuesday and hopefully I'll do research to keep me busy once the preceptorship is finished.

    But for now, it's nice to watch tv....

    2 comments:

    xanghe said...

    Sounds like a crazy month, but glad that you're alive. This is the first year that I don't have any war stories from finals because, well, I didn't have any. Being out of school has it's highlights, most prominently the absence of constant do-your-flippin-homework stress, but it is a bit of a vacuum. I have to admit every time I step foot into my old campus I get chills. The good kind. Do you have summer plans?

    Triet said...

    Yes, and it's worse when you are away from school and then must get back into the grind....takes some getting used to.

    This summer I plan on doing a preceptorship (apprenticeship) with a doctor in Houston during May-mid June. Then I will probably do research. No Vietnam trip--khoc hu hu hu--which I will say more about later. It has me too depressed right now to elaborate.