• People Talk and My Ear Bleeds

Thoughts

    from Twitter

    News

    Wednesday, May 21, 2008

    Do you read?

    Today L. Gordon Crovitz, in his article, "The Digital Future of Books," for the Wall Street Journal, said,

    "The not-so-positive case is that, at least so far, we're not giving up on books for the same words on screens – we're giving up on words. Pick your data point: A recent National Endowment for the Arts report, "To Read or Not to Read," found that 15- to 24-year-olds spend an average of seven minutes reading on weekdays; people between 35 and 44 spend 12 minutes; and people 65 and older spend close to an hour." (emphasis added)


    They obviously didn't poll medical students. Right now I average 14 or 15 hours reading a day. I average 5 minutes of seeing my son (while he's awake) and 30 minutes of meaningful conversation with my wife (while she's awake).

    How much do you read?

    1 comment:

    Linh said...

    One of the ways to get imformation or knowledge is reading.I'm so surprised to read the report that 15 to 24 year-olds just spend only 5 or 7 minutes reading on weekdays. As I know, almost Vietnamese teenagers aren't interested in reading books. why do you just spend 5 minutes seeing your son? ^^